Saturday 10 July 2010

Just Add Sugar and Semen


When tall hats are fashionable for a while, people start wearing small hats. When people stop wearing baggy jeans, they wear skinny jeans. There are fat lapels, then thin lapels. Kipper ties? skinny ties!

I think what I'm trying to get at is that, at some point, painfully unfashionable man Luc Besson, was in fact really super fashionable. But in fact thats bollocks. He has always, ALWAYS been the stoopidest director in the world. However, he has made 5 good movies.

This might not sound very good because Luc Besson has made like fifty movies. But think about this. Bob Rafaelson made two good films, John Cassavetes made three. David Lynch made three good films and Jim Jarmusch made two. Sidney Furie actually only made one good film and then went on to make like Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York and Superman IV, which puts him in minus numbers. I know all this because I spent a whole summer peeling the anaglypta off my walls so that I could write lists on them.

From Paris with Love is numero sept pour Senor Besson. The winning formula, lies in bringng together the stoopidest, funnest director in the world and the stoopidest, funnest actor in the world. The stoopidest, funnest actor in the world is of course Jon Travolta. In this movie he is more stoopidest and funnest than ever. He shouts and bawls and he has a shaved head and a big gun and that big manic smile and is generally like a Travoltary joy to watch.


All of this is against the fact that the love story is silly and boring, that the wildly inconsistent Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks like he has delivered all of his lines by accident and the fact that the film might have been more accurately titled In Bruges: This Time its not a Funny Film. Also, I've never seen a movie that made Paris look so ugly. Like even worse than An American in Paris. Even worse than Rush Hour 3. The exteriors look like interiors, and the interiors look like the interiors of a guy who died. A guy who died of an overdose of sugared almonds.

Okay, maybe I'm being like a little facetious, or maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I made out. But that's only because I know so much about art films. It is stoopid and fun though. I'm starting to think that that isn't such an easy film to make.

Hey, you think I should get a top hat? I'd only wear it to see Luc Besson films. Or, that wasn't the point was it. Okay I'll wear it to Lumiere brothers movies. LOL.

(I'll actually just wear it around the house.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers